http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/election/intro_eng.htm Ballot listing. Has videos from each canidate, for an equal footing. rkd likes it but didn't notice it before now.
http://www.kut.org/site/PageServer?pagename=elections_May06 KUT stories about each canidate/race
http://www.news8austin.com/content/election_2006/ News 8 Austion stories about each canadite/race. rkd doesn't like it as much as kut's.
- wes benedict - white, lower taxes, reduce regulations,; gridlock, rail is good for freight, but not for people, doesn't want light rail and street cars. wants to improve roads. Large business atmosphere, better for business.
- martinez -- needs rep from a city employee, was a firefighter. wants to be on the cap metro board, better mass transit system austin firefirghers assoitaion.
eliza may -- some public sector work, legistlature, TX funeral service;, affordable housing: east austin prop values, more programs for this; better bus system, wait times, association
---> select martinez
issues: toll roads
- incpmubnnt mccracken: changed to be not-in-favor of toll roads. regulate homes build much larger than neighdoring ones. hasn't made up mind on toll roads. (no on both open access and preventing aquifer development)
- hopkins: tollroads are centerpiece. transportation division of state. wants to focus on arterial roads. wants to reign in spending.
- kedran tuval: not in favor of toll roads. wants home to be more favorable, increase homestead exemption.
- kallbonker: protect aquifers, yes for open access. bus service.
* cole: lawyer, accountant. many school/nonprofit boards. small business should get tax incentives. should consider single-member discricts
* pierce: AA quality of life initive, stuff like that. should consider single-member districts, a hybrid apporach.
* lofton: only native austinite, rising property tax bills, corporations should donate to help with this, by making a community trust fund.
- wynn -- biggest challenge was to get the city out of debt, change land use dynamics, land use downtown, how they define affordability, police is great, Knee is doing OK; african american life: ...,
- thomas -- APD officer, densify downown is good but need to consider other locations-- cost of that infastructure, integration of development.
- gale -- healthcare, children's education, elderly, animals
--> not sure, both wynn and thomas are good