http://www.heureka.fi/portal/englanti/ Science museum in Vaanta, easily reachable by train. 18,50€.
Museum of technology, Helsinki, end of 6/8 tram. Some things only open in summer.
KIASMA Museum of Contemporary Art, right next to the central train station in Helsinki, closed on Mondays, 10€.
- National Museum of Finland, Töölö - Finnish history
- Design museum
- Several on Sumenlinna - submarine vesikko, the fortress itself, some others
- Helsinki City Museum - seven branches, free admission.
- Sports or other hiking
- Go on urban hikes to learn about or own towns. Pick one end and walk to the other end.
Urban foraging: http://satokartta.net/?page_id=121
Beaches - over 40 in Helsinki (28 listed on hel.fi), at least several sandy. Most open june-august. Most well known are:
- Hietaniemi - West of Töölö
- Aurinkolahti - End of the metro (south branch)
- Pihlajasaari - island. Take a boat to get there.
- Many more can be found by simple satellite map browsing.
- Ice skating
- Central railway station, 11€, ???--beginning of april
Linnanmaki amusement park (wp). Open in May-Sep until 21-22 most days. The grounds are free, rides 7€ single or 37€ for unlimited. Easily accessible by tram. It is supposed to be nicely placed on a hill with good views of the city.
Flamingospa Water park and spa in Vantaa (full day ticket : 22€ Fr-Su and 16€ Mo-Th).
- Park at end of metro V line.
- Suomenlinna, see above. Old fortress
- Seurasaari - NW Helsinki, connected by bridge. Open-air museum. Free to go to island, 6€ to go into museum buildings.
Kaunissaari - near the high seas. Sandy beaches, rocky shores, boat rentals, camping, and more. Ferry 18€ round trip, first ferry out at 10-11, last ferry back around 18:30, 1-3 ferries per day only. ferry (map)
Vartiosaari. E Helsinki. Ferry(?). Activities unknown (map)
Ferries to islands in Espoo: http://www.visitespoo.fi/visitors_guide/enjoy/archipelago/scheduled__boats
- Rent a canoe to go to more more places.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Helsinki wikitravel has a pretty big list of ideas and neighborhoods.
- Take every tram out to the end of it's line.
- use reittopas map to see which buses go far away. Take them and see what's there.