KPD and RKD will visit Chicago in May 2006. We'll be there Sat May 20 until Tuesday.
Things in/near the loop
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Tower The Sears Tower]
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aon_Center_%28Chicago%29 Aon Center] (no obs deck). 3rd tallest in US
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Corporate_Center AT&T Corporate Center] (see the lobby)
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Prudential_Plaza Two Prudential Plaza]
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/311_South_Wacker_Drive 311 South Wacker Drive]. Look at the lobby.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/900_North_Michigan 900 N Michigan Avenue]
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Tower_Place Walter Tower Place]. Vertical mall.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_Tower_%28Chicago%29 Chase Tower] Tallest inside loop and elevated tracks. (aka Bank One Tower)
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Tower Park Tower]
others: [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallest_buildings_in_Chicago others tallest] [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_architecture architecture]
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribune_Tower Tribune Tower] looks very nice. View rocks from around the world in the wall.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordham_Spire site of future frodham spire] -- to be the tallest building in the country
- Art museum
- Riverside Parks -- close by SE from the loop
- Millennium park, and the rest of the downtown lakefront.
- Museum of Science and Industry
- Walk up Michigan Avenue (N)
- Navy Pier (N)
- Walk along the river
- There are various guided tours we could take.
Things outside the loop
- Northwestern University -- north
- University of Chicago -- south
- Museum of Science and Industry -- south, near UC
- Ann Arbor ??
- Fly to Midland, MI, leaving Brazoria County Airport around 1330. Arrive around dinnertime. Stay there overnight with Thomases.
- Talk to Thomases. Stuff around Midland?
Wake up early. Visit ______. Begin driving to Chicago by 1000 at the latest, preferably earlier.
- Drive around the south part of the lake.
- Stop by the Museum of Science and Industry. Spend a few hours there. Drive through the U of Chicago if we aren't going to go back there anytime.
- Drive up Lakeshore drive, through the city. Enjoy the sights. Eventually cut back to the hotel.
- We might just park in the city and visit before going to the hotel, in order to avoid the train ride in that night.
- Check in to the hotel.
- Head downtown and walk around. Visit some things from the list above, maybe some of the observation decks. Since we don't know what will be open or safe, we'll take it as it comes.
- Morning with Neills (half a day?) ??
- Maybe Richard wants to split up here and Neills and KD can meet him somewhere at lunchtime?
- More downtown exploration.
- Things from the list at top.
- Visit some universities, possibly including Northwestern (north of town) and U of Chicago (south of town). Anything else around these areas.
- Things from the list at top.
Wake up, start heading back early. We'll take the ferry across, we need to be there by 0515. Get to Midland fast, in time for _____.
- Lunch and dinner with friends in Midland.
- More visiting around Midland.
- Speak with Dow people.
- Be at airport by 0500.